face 3d model

 For the monster 3D model, I knew it had to be relatively low poly, and I decided to 3D model the head separately from the body and attach them together at the end. To make this I first started with a cube and subdivided it with a modifier in Blender. With these extra polys I started to push and pill them to make a rough face shape, and each time subdividing again to extrude things like a nose, mouth, indent spaces for eyes, etc. 













After I had a rough shape for the face, I decided before I started drawing the textures I would smooth out the model by selecting Shade Smooth for the object.















In blender, I then decided to to draw on the model for the face and texturing. This was because we were going for a PS1 style look to the game, and often game characters at that time, the textures were drawn onto the polys or UV maps. I tried to make the face look uncanny and unsettling to look at like the concept art I had drawn before. I first started laying down base colours, then drawing on the shading, then at the end adding some final details.
















Reflection

I like how the face turned out, I feel like it looks uncanny, and close enough to a human face to be perceived that way, but also slightly off putting and too still to be an actual person's face. Next time however I would like to add a few more details, like some blood or dirt to make the face feel more grounded and slightly more off putting.


Comments

Popular Posts