Uni Portfolio

 For my university application I needed to make a portfolio to showcase my different skillsets and skills within art, drawing, 3D modelling and design.

I first started off with a slide of digitally painted tonal studies, taken from photographs and film stills to practice lighting, perspective, anatomy and to showcase digital painting.













I then done a slide filled with gesture drawings to show how I can draw human anatomy within a quick amount of time from a photo in a wide variety of mediums. This also demonstrates a knowledge of line work and how to quickly place down good quality lines to create an image that is easily readable.













This is a slide of some observational studies I done while sitting in city center and drawing random people and buildings fast so they don't move or change. This was to demonstrate my observational skills and how I could translate this to image in a variety of different mediums.

























These are drawings and illustrations from photos I took, a similar principle to drawing from observation but with more time to complete the image and analyze the scene.























This was to show how I can use my creativity and traditional painting techniques in an exam setting. This was a piece I planned to display the concept of memories, having the side of the canvas displaying different senses related to the scene in the center, an impressionistic painting depicting a few people at a park bench at sunset.























This was to display my creativity and my skills when it comes to concept art and design, and how I would display ideas in the form of easy to understand illustrations.
























These are some 3D models I made in 3DS max and textures in Substance Painter. These were 3D models based off of the concept art I made in the drawings above, this was to display my ability to 3D model, and how I am able to turn 2D illustrations into 3D models to be used within a game designing.























This was to show my ability to turn a character idea into some concept art and 2D illustrations, with basic concept art ideas, out fit and shape design, and reference images into a character design.






















This was the character sheet for the final design where I displayed my knowledge and skills on demonstrating a character's personality within a character sheet, and showing relevant design details for 3D modelers or animators.  
























This was a character turnaround I made of that character to show what they would look like form all angles so 3D modelers or animators could accurately portray the character in all angles. 
























I then drew another character sheet to show how I could display another character archetype, personality and body type in an easily readable sheet. 

























This was a quick sketchbook piece I made with the theme of Grow. This was an idea for a short film one someone's friend slowly turning into  plants and blowing away into the wind.

























This is a storyboard for that same concept, to prove that I can make an easily readable storyboard within a short amount of time that animators could use as a base.





































































This was some concept art and 3D models I made for a client project, where I displayed my ability to make concept art, and 3D models within a given style. 























These are some digital illustrations I put in to prove I could make final digital works which were fully rendered.






















This is some concept art and character I made for a game jam within a short span of time to demonstrate how I can quickly come up with character ideas for a theme on the spot.

























Reflection
I like my portfolio, I think it demonstrates a wide variety of skills from character design, to 3D modelling, texturing, gesture drawing, environment design and story design, while also looking at traditional  art skills such as gesture drawing, anatomy,. observations, tones and colours. Next time however, I would like to add more 3D models, as well as the wireframes from the models as I was recommended during an interview that the wireframes would of been a good addition to the portfolio. I would also like to add some level design and lighting to my models to show how I can build a level, and make my textures and models look good within a game. 
Other than that I like my portfolio, and it was strong enough to get me unconditional offers at all my university choices (Falmouth for Animation, Games Animation and Games art, as well as Portsmouth Games art and Animation)































Comments

Popular Posts