Games Jam Reflection

 Game Jam Participation

For the game jam, we were given the theme of Nuts and Bolts, and after much conversation, me and my team decided to make a game based around hollow knight, where it would be a steam punk parkour game with a time limit, where you can collect tokens to increase your points, and if we had the time, we would add enemy AI.

Within the team, I worked as the team Artist, so I would draw the assets, textures, character, do the animations and decide the final design for the character. Throughout the game jam, I designed the character and created a running cycle for it, as well as designing a platforming box, collectable tokens and accessories.

To make the character animation, I drew a sketch of the animation, then drew the line art of the character, colouring in the line art after its all completed.

 

Reflection on the Learning Process

Making this game jam, has allowed me to practice and refine my animation skills, as well as practicing making textures and unwrapping 3D models. It also allowed me to practice making 2D simple illustrations quickly. However, the most valuable thing I have learnt, is animation with a more complicated character design for things like run cycles takes a long time, so therefore it would be better to have a simpler character design when you have less time and simplify run cycles to save time while animating.

Suggestions for Improvements

To do better, I would have designed the environment assets first, and made sure we had an enough variety and textures so the level designer could decorate and design a more interesting level before I made the character animations.

Conclusion

Participating in this game jam furthered my knowledge in games art creation and games development as if I didn’t spend so long on the running animation and left it till last, the game level would of turned out much more interesting with more art concepts within.


Art





























Comments

Popular Posts