body 3d model

 I 3D modeled the body on Mudbox, using the human body preset and editing its features to make it look like emancipated and uncanny. I then exported the model and put it into Blender for UV editing, texturing and animating.



















For the body of the monster, I added seam lines on the model to make an understandable UV map, I tried to add seams in hidden parts of the model and places where the model would bend a lot or changes depth frequently. I then selected all the polys on the model, went to UV editing and unwrapped the model. 

















Once I had done that, I created a material for the model and assigned the UV to the model as a material. Then, I went onto texture paint, and started to paint onto the model, matching it to what I had painted for the face. I tried make the clothes look raggedly, and make the monster look almost sickly to create an uncanny feeling. I decided to go for texture painting to reflect the style of old PS1 style games where they didn't have normal or ambient maps, and all the textures were drawn onto the model's UV.

















After the texture painting, I then added armature bones and IK constraints to the model, so I could move it around realistically to the physics and constraints of a human body. This means the body is now ready to pose and animate.


Reflection

I liked how the body looks slightly thin and sick and how the textures are painted on top, I feel that it adds an old look to the model that fits well within the game. However, next time I think I would stretch the anatomy a little so it looked less anatomically correct to fit more into the old style of game where models of people and monsters were in this awkward between of emulating anatomy and not quite reaching it. I would also like to use different brushes to give different textures to the texture painting so it isn't just the same smooth brush.


Comments

Popular Posts